Skip to main content

Falling on my arse. Again.


I haven't fallen literally on my arse for at least two weeks (had a bit of an incident in the shower at Hotel KaznSteve, but it didn't even leave a bruise, so it's hardly worth mentioning), but I have well and truly fallen down in a metaphorical sense. Fallen down and scraped both knees, and even though I'm 40 years old, I feel like crying to Mum about it.

I came to this uni course full of confidence, straight from a job I felt I was good at, to do something that I was sure I would be great at. I felt that the stars and planets had all aligned to make my high school teaching ambitions come true, on the second time of trying. I was available, and – at QUT at least – qualified. I could get financial assistance from Centrelink (Austudy is more generous than Newstart, so it would marginally easier to survive without working). Friends and family all thought it was a great idea.

Then I started.

By the time I got over the physical shock of uni life I had fallen behind, and I am still behind. I start full-time prac on Monday, and I still have assignments to do. I've had to put them aside though, to prepare myself for prac, both physically (I'm exhausted) and logistically (I need to iron whichever work clothes still fit, and organise packed lunches), not to mention the lesson plans I need to write – for real lessons.

I am starting to think that I'm not going to make it through two of my units this semester. I've put in all the work for one unit, but the two English Curriculum units are still waiting for assignments, and I think I might have run out of time to get them in. I just couldn't catch up with the reading required to do the assignments properly. I can't work all day and all night any more, in the same way that I can't run any more. I can only keep going at the same place, and hope that the universe slows down around me (it hasn't).

I'm now considering the possibility of having to sign up for another semester, so I can re-do these units. Part of me wants to just be able to scrape through now, so I don't have to spend the extra time and money, but another part wants an opportunity to do a proper job of it. Re-starting could even give me an advantage, rather than a disadvantage. For once.

It won't be the first time I've had to start again, not by any means. In fact, I'm an old hand at the failing and trying again thing. This was getting me down, and I was berating myself for being such a loser, for racking up so many failures in my life, but then it suddenly occurred to me, in a rare moment of clarity, that I have actually managed to turn those failures around.

Whenever I've literally fallen over, I've always got myself back up. Sometimes I'm a little damaged, and often embarrassed, but, importantly, I did get back up. So far, when I have figuratively fallen over, I've also managed to get back up again, albeit similarly bruised and battered.

I had numerous goes at failing my A Levels, but ended up eventually passing enough to go to uni. I had to withdraw in my first year of uni, due to the onset of my hip problems, but I went back the next year. I had to abandon the Masters degree I started, but I have hopes of resuming it in the future. It took me two goes to pass my driving test.

It's taken me two attempts to get into a Dip Ed course (UQ didn't recognise my talents – or my single-subject UK degree), but here I now am. I've completed the hardest part - starting - so if I have to take another run at a couple of units, it's not the end of the world.

I may not always get things on the first attempt, but I keep trying.

Once the disappointment wears off, there is always something to be learned from a failed attempt at something, not least how much I wanted whatever it was. I could have walked away when my third go at taking A Levels went awry, but I went back again, and not only passed and continued on to uni, but met one of my best-ever friends. I'm a better driver for failing my first test. I enjoyed my degree more when I went back after that break, and worked harder at it, coming away with a BA(Hons).

Now, being faced with the option of giving up and walking away from this Dip Ed has only served to fuel my determination to keep going. I really, really want to do this. Beneath the rubble of my self-confidence is a little voice telling me not to give up. The stars didn't align for nothing. I haven't held this ambition for 24 years for nothing. So I've fallen on my arse again. I'll get up again, and perhaps I'll be an even better teacher for it.

Never give up! Never surrender! (Galaxy Quest)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What I learned on prac.

I'm pretty sure that I learned far more on my prac than the students I was teaching. Some of it will stand me in good stead for my next prac, and for when I am a fully-qualified teacher. Some of it was very disappointing and disallusioning. One of the first things I learned was that my supervising teacher no longer wanted to be a teacher, but was sticking with it for a few more years, while her youngest child finishes high school. Another teacher in our staff room was only staying with teaching to boost his superannuation before he retired. Yet another teacher didn't speak to me during my four weeks sitting at the desk next to him, and seemed to dislike all students and the teaching of them. There were frequent discussions in there about students being "not very bright" and "unteachable", including one entire year. No effort was put in to teaching these students, as it was deemed to be a waste of effort. However, imaginative teaching was hampered

Why I really need a pig.

For the last couple of years I've been on a plastic-elimination diet, and working hard at drastically reducing my landfill footprint (ie what I cause to sent to be buried in the ground for all eternity*). I have made some huge progress, although I still have some way to go to becoming zero waste (I think I'm at about 80% waste-free). One step on this journey was to get rid of my kitchen bin. In theory, everything I use in my kitchen should be either recyclable or compostable, leaving no use for a kitchen bin. However, I do have one item that is neither: my cat's uneaten food. FreddyCat is a fussy eater. I put this down to his hyperthyroidism – and being a cat. After considerable trial and error, I have found a range of foods that he will (usually) consent to eat, but he never eats ALL of anything I put down for him. There is always something left over; sometimes all of it. Cat food reeks even before going off, so I have to dispose of it. As I am a ver

Understanding my physical challenges: An analogy

So, I've been trying to come up with a way to explain to a non-disabled person what it's like to face physical challenges at work, as a person with a disability. My current workplace is very physically demanding, even for me, a wheelchair user with long arms, full reach, abdominal muscle control and good balance. After 2.5 years of just getting on with it, despite the inaccessibility of large areas of my workplace, I'm at a point where I'm having to say, 'Enough. I can't do it any more.'. My employer is struggling to understand what's changed. Why is my workplace 'suddenly' inaccessible? What has changed with my health, to make my work so arduous for me now? Here's my analogy*: Imagine that you are looking for a job in the field you have just qualified for. A new employer says, if you move out to our location, we'll give you a permanent job. You just have to be able to carry 10kg. Cool, you think, I can do that. I'll uproot myself