Skip to main content

Laparoscopy

While I was given morphine, I was able to sleep a little and take myself to the toilet.  The next morning (this was Tuesday 11th May, my brother Damian's birthday) I needed help to shower and dress in a new gown (their gowns have buttons and ties and are very complicated!), and to put on my super-sexy pressure stockings. 

I got to speak to my Mum (she's excellent at tracking down people in hospital, having been a hospital doctor (anaesthetist) most of her working life), and talking to Mum always makes me feel better. I did manage to send a Happy Birthday text message to Damian, too.

I ended up going down for surgery at about 2pm, having been visited briefly by a crowd of doctors, and told I was having a laparoscopy, and no matter what state my appendix was found to be in, it was being taken out.

I woke up in Recovery in a huge panic, as I knew I shouldn't be treated in a Muggle hospital, as I was a Wizard, and it was really important that I let them know...  
 
I was apparently thrashing around quite a bit before I worked out where and who I was, and realised that I was out of surgery. Being still quite drugged up, I was feeling OK, just a bit disorientated. There's no sense of time having been passed... one minute I'm chatting with the anaesthetist about English Literature, and the next I'm thinking I'm in Harry Potter, desperate to escape the non-wizard hospital. Weird.

The hard part about being post-operative for me, is that the morphine got replaced with paracetamol!!!! Didn't they know I was an advanced analgesic-taker? That I'd passed the level of paracetomol years ago?!?! I was a hardened Tramadol-taker... stupid paracetomol wasn't going to help....

But I wasn't even being given my usual Tramadol, so I was still in quite a lot of pain. And then there was worse news: most of the pain I was experiencing was from the CO2 left over from when they blew me up like a balloon for the keyhole surgery, and there was no pain relief for that!! I just had to wait until I deflated. A day later I was given some heat packs for the gas pain, and that was goooooood.

My dignity and inhibitions deserted me while I was there, allowing a tiny child-nurse to help me in the shower, and not even wincing when one of them opened the door on me while I was on the toilet. Perfect time for a chat, really....

Steve visited again, with more clothes, and a lovely pink gerbera and a little pink teddy. The teddy was great, as I could pretend it was Freddy (although not as warm), with the noise from my drip machine sounding just like him purring. It was quite comforting.

I stayed in hospital for four days in total, although I could have stayed longer. But I was keen to leave - to get some sleep, more than anything. Hospitals are not restful places. My lovely friends, Steve and Karen, who were already looking after Dexter and Freddy, were insisting on looking after me, too. I was in no fit state to protest, and besides, I love hanging out with them and their fur-family (Fudge and JJ the Field Spaniels, and Midnight and Ebony the cats).

So Steve drove me home, worrying about every bump in the road, but I was happy to be out of hospital again.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What I learned on prac.

I'm pretty sure that I learned far more on my prac than the students I was teaching. Some of it will stand me in good stead for my next prac, and for when I am a fully-qualified teacher. Some of it was very disappointing and disallusioning. One of the first things I learned was that my supervising teacher no longer wanted to be a teacher, but was sticking with it for a few more years, while her youngest child finishes high school. Another teacher in our staff room was only staying with teaching to boost his superannuation before he retired. Yet another teacher didn't speak to me during my four weeks sitting at the desk next to him, and seemed to dislike all students and the teaching of them. There were frequent discussions in there about students being "not very bright" and "unteachable", including one entire year. No effort was put in to teaching these students, as it was deemed to be a waste of effort. However, imaginative teaching was hampered

Why I really need a pig.

For the last couple of years I've been on a plastic-elimination diet, and working hard at drastically reducing my landfill footprint (ie what I cause to sent to be buried in the ground for all eternity*). I have made some huge progress, although I still have some way to go to becoming zero waste (I think I'm at about 80% waste-free). One step on this journey was to get rid of my kitchen bin. In theory, everything I use in my kitchen should be either recyclable or compostable, leaving no use for a kitchen bin. However, I do have one item that is neither: my cat's uneaten food. FreddyCat is a fussy eater. I put this down to his hyperthyroidism – and being a cat. After considerable trial and error, I have found a range of foods that he will (usually) consent to eat, but he never eats ALL of anything I put down for him. There is always something left over; sometimes all of it. Cat food reeks even before going off, so I have to dispose of it. As I am a ver

Understanding my physical challenges: An analogy

So, I've been trying to come up with a way to explain to a non-disabled person what it's like to face physical challenges at work, as a person with a disability. My current workplace is very physically demanding, even for me, a wheelchair user with long arms, full reach, abdominal muscle control and good balance. After 2.5 years of just getting on with it, despite the inaccessibility of large areas of my workplace, I'm at a point where I'm having to say, 'Enough. I can't do it any more.'. My employer is struggling to understand what's changed. Why is my workplace 'suddenly' inaccessible? What has changed with my health, to make my work so arduous for me now? Here's my analogy*: Imagine that you are looking for a job in the field you have just qualified for. A new employer says, if you move out to our location, we'll give you a permanent job. You just have to be able to carry 10kg. Cool, you think, I can do that. I'll uproot myself