Skip to main content

Worst Puppy-Sitter, Ever!

I thought I had done a terrible, terrible thing in my 2nd week of house-sitting for Karen and Steve (and their two dogs, Fudge and JJ, and two cats, Midnight and Pepper), when I left out a half-full container of butter, which JJ managed to get hold of (probably with Midnight's help) and cleaned out. The butter, in turn, cleaned JJ out - mostly on the carpet in the spare bedroom where I'm staying. Dexter investigated the buttery, barf-pattery puddle and consequently got regurgitated butter on his ears. I couldn't get the stain out of the carpet, and thought the smell of rancid butter on JJ's and Dexter's was the worst smell, ever.

I could not have been more wrong!

A week later (on another Monday, when I leave for uni at 6.30am and don't get back until 5pm), I came home to discover that the dogs had got hold of a large tub of 400 super-strength fish oil capsules, and EATEN THEM ALL. There was oil EVERYWHERE.  Fudge only had oily ears, but JJ was covered in it, from head to toe, and had rolled on all the dog beds, the couch and its blankets, and MY bed, including a couple of shirts. The smell was awful.

My first thought, though, was whether the dogs could be poisoned by so much fish oil all at once. After checking with the vet, I was confident that the worst I had to deal with was the explosive after-effects of ingesting so much oil. However, if the capsules had contained Vitamin D, it would have been more serious (I didn't ask what would have happened in that case; I was too relieved I hadn't killed my friends' dogs).

I picked all the oily things I could find and put them in the laundry and outside. I found the plastic tub, the lid of which had been very carefully unscrewed. I washed the dogs. I wiped the couch (which had melted on bits of capsule stuck to it). But this was just the start of a week-long clean up!

I am grateful for the fact that the boys managed to get rid of the oil they had eaten outside, but all three of them keep tracking revolting, regurgitate fish oil back into the house on their feet and ears. However, it wasn't until I was getting ready to leave the house for uni the next morning that I realised that Dexter's ears were covered in oil. And he reeked. Now my car also reeks of rotting fish, and my colleagues had to put up with a stinky dog in our class that day.

But as bad as the smell of all that oil was, it just got worse as it got old. The place started to smell like an old fishing shack, stinking of rotting fish. Hideous.

I've tried several ways to get fish oil out of the various soft furnishings, and am still trying (white vinegar not effective, although I've had some results with dishwashing liquid). They are currently all outside, to see if the sun can break it down a bit. Tina, Karen and Steve's Amazing Cleaner, saved my sanity when she came yesterday and helped with another round of cleaning up.The only fishy enclaves left are the couch, my bedroom, the dogs' beds and the dogs themselves (the toilet is currently the sweetest-smelling place in the house!) It's much less pronounced than earlier in the week, although I think I'm going to smell rotten fish forever!

The spewed up fish oil out on the lawn will sink in eventually, so the dogs will stop treading in it (I hope), and I have a few more fish-oil-removing suggestions from friends to try out.

Throughout it all, though, I've only been able to blame myself. I left the stupid things out on the bench, after all.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What I learned on prac.

I'm pretty sure that I learned far more on my prac than the students I was teaching. Some of it will stand me in good stead for my next prac, and for when I am a fully-qualified teacher. Some of it was very disappointing and disallusioning. One of the first things I learned was that my supervising teacher no longer wanted to be a teacher, but was sticking with it for a few more years, while her youngest child finishes high school. Another teacher in our staff room was only staying with teaching to boost his superannuation before he retired. Yet another teacher didn't speak to me during my four weeks sitting at the desk next to him, and seemed to dislike all students and the teaching of them. There were frequent discussions in there about students being "not very bright" and "unteachable", including one entire year. No effort was put in to teaching these students, as it was deemed to be a waste of effort. However, imaginative teaching was hampered

Why I really need a pig.

For the last couple of years I've been on a plastic-elimination diet, and working hard at drastically reducing my landfill footprint (ie what I cause to sent to be buried in the ground for all eternity*). I have made some huge progress, although I still have some way to go to becoming zero waste (I think I'm at about 80% waste-free). One step on this journey was to get rid of my kitchen bin. In theory, everything I use in my kitchen should be either recyclable or compostable, leaving no use for a kitchen bin. However, I do have one item that is neither: my cat's uneaten food. FreddyCat is a fussy eater. I put this down to his hyperthyroidism – and being a cat. After considerable trial and error, I have found a range of foods that he will (usually) consent to eat, but he never eats ALL of anything I put down for him. There is always something left over; sometimes all of it. Cat food reeks even before going off, so I have to dispose of it. As I am a ver

Understanding my physical challenges: An analogy

So, I've been trying to come up with a way to explain to a non-disabled person what it's like to face physical challenges at work, as a person with a disability. My current workplace is very physically demanding, even for me, a wheelchair user with long arms, full reach, abdominal muscle control and good balance. After 2.5 years of just getting on with it, despite the inaccessibility of large areas of my workplace, I'm at a point where I'm having to say, 'Enough. I can't do it any more.'. My employer is struggling to understand what's changed. Why is my workplace 'suddenly' inaccessible? What has changed with my health, to make my work so arduous for me now? Here's my analogy*: Imagine that you are looking for a job in the field you have just qualified for. A new employer says, if you move out to our location, we'll give you a permanent job. You just have to be able to carry 10kg. Cool, you think, I can do that. I'll uproot myself