Skip to main content

Maybe I can do this after all....

I still have doubts about my ability to pass this course, but at least now I am physically managing this uni lark. For the first couple of weeks, if I wasn't at class I was asleep. The physical effort of getting around campus, sitting in my wheelchair all day, and all that concentrating (and confusion) were exhausting. Because I was so tired, and so asleep, I was behind in reading and assignment preparation from the outset. I was also hampered by not having any text books until 2 weeks into the semester (I had no money until then) and my chronic inability to focus or apply myself to studying outside of classes.

Now that I am in Week 5, I am much more accustomed to the physical requirements, and my fatigue levels seem to be similar to when I was working (ie tolerable). Although it's come too late to get any of my first assignments in on time (I have extensions for all three; one since submitted), I am at least in a position to try to catch up. I no longer have to sleep until Friday to recover from a day and a half on campus, and am getting progressively better at studying, and for longer periods. My procrastination tendencies will probably always be with me, but I'll keep working on controlling them.

I having been finding sitting at the desk for long periods a bit hard on my, er, bum, but using the cushion from my wheelchair for extra padding is helping. Other than that, cat-wrangling is the one thing I will keep having to contend with. Fred is very consistent and persistent in his attacking of my books, printer, keyboard and paper, and loves sitting on top of my laptop (and often changing settings, turning things on and off, including the laptop itself). He is currently sitting on the printer, rubbing his face on the corner of my laptop screen. Staring at me....

Anyway, I shall be trying to catch up now, and working consistently to get future assignments in by their original due date. This will be fun, as my first Assignment 2 is due in 2 weeks' time.

So I'd better get on with it.


Comments

  1. Brava! And glad that things are getting easier, even if not yet easy...

    I am not really qualified to offer sitting advice to a wheelchair user but a setup that enables a variety of postures can be better than one that is set up just so but requires you sit in the same way all day. The Pomodoro technique (?ritual) might help as well - http://www.pomodorotechnique.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been inadvertently doing a Pomodoro technique, by setting my timer for set periods of studying, but I'm looking into the Technique further to see if I can get more out of it. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

What I learned on prac.

I'm pretty sure that I learned far more on my prac than the students I was teaching. Some of it will stand me in good stead for my next prac, and for when I am a fully-qualified teacher. Some of it was very disappointing and disallusioning. One of the first things I learned was that my supervising teacher no longer wanted to be a teacher, but was sticking with it for a few more years, while her youngest child finishes high school. Another teacher in our staff room was only staying with teaching to boost his superannuation before he retired. Yet another teacher didn't speak to me during my four weeks sitting at the desk next to him, and seemed to dislike all students and the teaching of them. There were frequent discussions in there about students being "not very bright" and "unteachable", including one entire year. No effort was put in to teaching these students, as it was deemed to be a waste of effort. However, imaginative teaching was hampered

Why I really need a pig.

For the last couple of years I've been on a plastic-elimination diet, and working hard at drastically reducing my landfill footprint (ie what I cause to sent to be buried in the ground for all eternity*). I have made some huge progress, although I still have some way to go to becoming zero waste (I think I'm at about 80% waste-free). One step on this journey was to get rid of my kitchen bin. In theory, everything I use in my kitchen should be either recyclable or compostable, leaving no use for a kitchen bin. However, I do have one item that is neither: my cat's uneaten food. FreddyCat is a fussy eater. I put this down to his hyperthyroidism – and being a cat. After considerable trial and error, I have found a range of foods that he will (usually) consent to eat, but he never eats ALL of anything I put down for him. There is always something left over; sometimes all of it. Cat food reeks even before going off, so I have to dispose of it. As I am a ver

Understanding my physical challenges: An analogy

So, I've been trying to come up with a way to explain to a non-disabled person what it's like to face physical challenges at work, as a person with a disability. My current workplace is very physically demanding, even for me, a wheelchair user with long arms, full reach, abdominal muscle control and good balance. After 2.5 years of just getting on with it, despite the inaccessibility of large areas of my workplace, I'm at a point where I'm having to say, 'Enough. I can't do it any more.'. My employer is struggling to understand what's changed. Why is my workplace 'suddenly' inaccessible? What has changed with my health, to make my work so arduous for me now? Here's my analogy*: Imagine that you are looking for a job in the field you have just qualified for. A new employer says, if you move out to our location, we'll give you a permanent job. You just have to be able to carry 10kg. Cool, you think, I can do that. I'll uproot myself