Skip to main content

The Ups and Downs of Monday 22 August 2011

Yesterday was one of those days. There were good parts, but also bad - and ugly - parts.

Bad: Actually getting woken up by my alarm. Perhaps I need to choose a different tone; I currently have a nasty clock radio-type beeping noise. Effective, though.

Bad: Couldn't move for all the animals on top of me. But...

Good: Lots of furry bodies cuddling up with me.

Bad: Having to get up, showered and dressed, breakfasted, lunched and out the door in the freezing cold.

Ugly: What I saw in the mirror.

Bad: Leaving the house at 6.30am and nearly falling asleep on my drive to uni.

Good: Getting extra money out of the vending machine when I got my diet coke.

Bad: A bunch of us being told off for being late to the lecture, when we were waiting outside while the students doing a presentation set up.

Bad: Having to ask the lecturer for an extension on my assignment.

Good: Getting an extension on my assignment.

Bad: Feeling like a failure for needing an extension on my first assignment.

Good: Going to Counselling Services and being able to talk to someone straightaway about my struggles with my studies and assignments.

Good: Feeling better about having to ask for extensions while I catch up. Feeling less of a failure, and that I just need to accept I had a rough start to the semester, rather than not being up to the course.

Good: (although I shouldn't think it's good) Missing the lecture down at H block, that I have to drive to. Those lectures leave me shell-shocked, not only from the breathtaking speed in which they are delivered, but from rarely understanding anything she's going on about.

Good: Having someone stop and chat to me while Dexter was on his sniff break.

Good: The lift at B Block was working!

Bad: Colleagues being annoyed by Dexter during the next lecture/tute.

Bad: Going through the assignment that's due on  Friday and having little hope of being able to finish it on time.

Good: Getting back home (without nearly fallling asleep at the wheel) to Fudge and JJ and watching Dexter and JJ run about like lunatics together. Saying hello to all the cats.

Good: Walking 50m on the treadmill at 1km/h.

Good: iTunes is still working!

Bad: Deciding to bake cookies.

Good: Eating freshly-baked cookies.

Bad: Freshly-baked cookies.

Good: Going to bed early and only having to get up twice to 1) confiscate some plasticware from JJ, and 2) de-poo a litter tray. Other than that, slept well.

Comments

  1. Starting uni is a sharp curve for anyone, let alone someone with extra chores beyond 'just studying'! Give yourself permission to learn at your own rhythm. Some people start slowly and build a strong foundation, getting speed up later on. Some people start with a sprint and end up puffed up. If you do not understand a lecturer, ask if other students feel the same, ask an assistant lecturer about it (eg extra reading to catch up on it). Don't worry about Dexter: he will soon have more friends than you ever dreamed possible! Ask for help and assistance: if you don't ask, you won't get. And if you don't get, at least you asked!
    If you see you need extra time on all assignments, talk to counselor where to go to ask for extra time this term due to health constraints. You might need a GP certificate. Better do that than get stressed, sick, depressed and get it later :P
    You can do it! Just take one day at a time :) and don't expect perfection, just the best you can given the circumstances. :D

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

What I learned on prac.

I'm pretty sure that I learned far more on my prac than the students I was teaching. Some of it will stand me in good stead for my next prac, and for when I am a fully-qualified teacher. Some of it was very disappointing and disallusioning. One of the first things I learned was that my supervising teacher no longer wanted to be a teacher, but was sticking with it for a few more years, while her youngest child finishes high school. Another teacher in our staff room was only staying with teaching to boost his superannuation before he retired. Yet another teacher didn't speak to me during my four weeks sitting at the desk next to him, and seemed to dislike all students and the teaching of them. There were frequent discussions in there about students being "not very bright" and "unteachable", including one entire year. No effort was put in to teaching these students, as it was deemed to be a waste of effort. However, imaginative teaching was hampered

Why I really need a pig.

For the last couple of years I've been on a plastic-elimination diet, and working hard at drastically reducing my landfill footprint (ie what I cause to sent to be buried in the ground for all eternity*). I have made some huge progress, although I still have some way to go to becoming zero waste (I think I'm at about 80% waste-free). One step on this journey was to get rid of my kitchen bin. In theory, everything I use in my kitchen should be either recyclable or compostable, leaving no use for a kitchen bin. However, I do have one item that is neither: my cat's uneaten food. FreddyCat is a fussy eater. I put this down to his hyperthyroidism – and being a cat. After considerable trial and error, I have found a range of foods that he will (usually) consent to eat, but he never eats ALL of anything I put down for him. There is always something left over; sometimes all of it. Cat food reeks even before going off, so I have to dispose of it. As I am a ver

Understanding my physical challenges: An analogy

So, I've been trying to come up with a way to explain to a non-disabled person what it's like to face physical challenges at work, as a person with a disability. My current workplace is very physically demanding, even for me, a wheelchair user with long arms, full reach, abdominal muscle control and good balance. After 2.5 years of just getting on with it, despite the inaccessibility of large areas of my workplace, I'm at a point where I'm having to say, 'Enough. I can't do it any more.'. My employer is struggling to understand what's changed. Why is my workplace 'suddenly' inaccessible? What has changed with my health, to make my work so arduous for me now? Here's my analogy*: Imagine that you are looking for a job in the field you have just qualified for. A new employer says, if you move out to our location, we'll give you a permanent job. You just have to be able to carry 10kg. Cool, you think, I can do that. I'll uproot myself