Skip to main content

I don't want more painkillers, but maybe something different.

http://allthingsclipart.com
I've had another attempt to discuss my pain management medication (Tramadol + anti-inflammatory) with the GP, and have come away with no solutions.

The first time, with my regular GP, I asked for my pain meds to be reviewed, as I was finding that exercising in the gym was causing me too much pain, and that it was important for me to keep exercising, as I really need to lose weight and increase my fitness if I want to be able to work again and not end up with obesity-related illness(es).

Her suggestion was that I start taking a weight-loss drug. However, as weight-loss medication is incompatible with my anti-depressant (where the main side-effect is weight-gain!!), she said I should talk to my psychiatrist about changing my anti-depressant.

Apart from her having missed my point, I have no intention of changing my anti-depressant, as the last time I did that I got incredibly sick, and I'm still reeling from the fall-out from that time, not least of which was having to withdraw from my final teaching prac*.

When I had to go back to the GP today for a new script for both Tramadol and my thyroid replacement meds, I mentioned it again. This was with a different doctor, but one I've seen several times, and all of the doctors in my medical centre can access all my records**.

His suggestion was that I stop taking so many Tramadol (I take 100mg SR twice a day) and increase my anti-inflammatory dose. I didn't have the heart to tell him I've tried this, and it doesn't help, and besides, after his explanation of what Tramadol is (I know, I've been on it for years, and done extensive reading about it), I got the distinct impression he thought I was just asking for more painkillers. However, I'm happy to increase my anti-inflammatory dose, and hope that will offer some extra relief.

I'm obviously not expressing myself clearly to my doctors. I don't want more painkillers, I am asking if there are different painkillers I could try, as my current regime is fine for keeping the pain at bay as long as I minimally active, but isn't allowing me to increase my activity levels.

I could just take more Tramadol, and supplement it with paracetomol***. My Tramadol prescription allows me to take up to 400mg/day, but I really try to stick to 200mg, as that amount already makes me sleepy, and if I take any more than that, I'm too sleepy to do anything but sleep. It's fine in a pinch, especially if I'm in too much pain to sleep, but not something I'm keen to do on a regular basis.

I'm also reluctant to be taking paracetomol regularly, as that then leaves me nothing to fall back on when it comes to headaches. I suppose taking paracetomol every day would prevent me from getting headaches in the first place, but if I'm already taking everything I can take, what is there left to take after that??****

Until I can find an alternative, I'll have to stick with what works for day-to-day functionality, and do what I can to lose weight through improved nutrition. That challenge is a whole nother blog post.

________________________________________________________
*that was my first attempt at my final teaching prac.

**which is why I'm really reluctant to go to a new practice/call an after-hours GP service.

***The last time I went to buy paracetomol, the pharmacist nearly had a conniption, as the staff person had misheard my “Panamax” (500mg paracetomol) for “Nurofen Plus” (don't ask me how; I know I can speak softly sometimes, but still), which contains codeine, which I MUST NOT HAVE with Tramadol. (Apart from anything else, 100 tablets of Panamax is $2, whereas 30 tablets of Nurofen Plus is $8.00.) The pharmacist was very relieved that it was a miscommunication.

****After the first exploratory surgery on my hip (where they drilled through my femur into my femoral head, to check for avascular necrosis) I was unable to take any additional pain medication, as I was already taking the maximum dose of whatever I was taking (can't remember the name; it was almost 20 years ago). This meant that I was effectively without any post-operative pain relief. It was agonising, and it's made me cautious about maxing out my daily painkillers.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What I learned on prac.

I'm pretty sure that I learned far more on my prac than the students I was teaching. Some of it will stand me in good stead for my next prac, and for when I am a fully-qualified teacher. Some of it was very disappointing and disallusioning. One of the first things I learned was that my supervising teacher no longer wanted to be a teacher, but was sticking with it for a few more years, while her youngest child finishes high school. Another teacher in our staff room was only staying with teaching to boost his superannuation before he retired. Yet another teacher didn't speak to me during my four weeks sitting at the desk next to him, and seemed to dislike all students and the teaching of them. There were frequent discussions in there about students being "not very bright" and "unteachable", including one entire year. No effort was put in to teaching these students, as it was deemed to be a waste of effort. However, imaginative teaching was hampered

Why I really need a pig.

For the last couple of years I've been on a plastic-elimination diet, and working hard at drastically reducing my landfill footprint (ie what I cause to sent to be buried in the ground for all eternity*). I have made some huge progress, although I still have some way to go to becoming zero waste (I think I'm at about 80% waste-free). One step on this journey was to get rid of my kitchen bin. In theory, everything I use in my kitchen should be either recyclable or compostable, leaving no use for a kitchen bin. However, I do have one item that is neither: my cat's uneaten food. FreddyCat is a fussy eater. I put this down to his hyperthyroidism – and being a cat. After considerable trial and error, I have found a range of foods that he will (usually) consent to eat, but he never eats ALL of anything I put down for him. There is always something left over; sometimes all of it. Cat food reeks even before going off, so I have to dispose of it. As I am a ver

Understanding my physical challenges: An analogy

So, I've been trying to come up with a way to explain to a non-disabled person what it's like to face physical challenges at work, as a person with a disability. My current workplace is very physically demanding, even for me, a wheelchair user with long arms, full reach, abdominal muscle control and good balance. After 2.5 years of just getting on with it, despite the inaccessibility of large areas of my workplace, I'm at a point where I'm having to say, 'Enough. I can't do it any more.'. My employer is struggling to understand what's changed. Why is my workplace 'suddenly' inaccessible? What has changed with my health, to make my work so arduous for me now? Here's my analogy*: Imagine that you are looking for a job in the field you have just qualified for. A new employer says, if you move out to our location, we'll give you a permanent job. You just have to be able to carry 10kg. Cool, you think, I can do that. I'll uproot myself