Skip to main content

Ms Ranty Ranty-pants

I've been trying to organise some money to live on for the last two weeks, ever since my teaching contract expired at the end of November (two weeks before the end of term so they don't have to pay me over the holidays). While I do qualify for the "Lump  Sum Summer Payment" from the Department of Education, it doesn't come through until the end of the month. In the meantime, and for the rest of the summer break (unless I can find some temp work), I need some help from Centrelink.

I was being supported by the Disability Support Pension until about 4 weeks ago, when they changed their policy and dropped me (and many others in my situation). I had previously been assured that it would be there for me over the summer break, even though it didn't pay me any money while I was earning. With the loss of the DSP also came the loss of subsidised medications (OMG, I had no idea what they really cost(, my electricity subsidy, and my subsidised stamps from the Post Office. Probably some other stuff as well, that hasn't come to light yet.

So, I've been trying to apply for Newstart (I really doubt I'll be eligible for the DSP again, as I have shown I *can* work), but to my surprise - and frustration, after driving around for 2 hours to find a Centrelink office I could park near - I was told that Newstart claims are all done online now. Here, you can use our computer.

After eventually logging on (having no available data on my phone, couldn't look up my login and password, so they took me through a password retrieval process), the services were all UNAVAILABLE. Unavailable. I would have to go home and try again later.

One of the first things I had to do after coming off the DSP was radically reduce my expenses; first casualty was my home phone and internet. So I can't do online things at home. Fortunately, I live extremely close to a public library, which offers an hour a day of free computer and internet use, and unlimited wifi if you bring in your own device.

This is only useful if the website you're accessing is WORKING. I visited the Centrelink office on the 2nd December. Ten days later, I still haven't been able to complete my claim, due to persistent service outages and errors.

I also can't phone Centrelink, as their queue estimate for today, both early this morning and at lunchtime was in in excess of 90 minutes. I can't pay my current phone bill, so can't rack up 90+minutes of being on hold on my mobile, even if my patience could stand it.

My only other course of action was to lodge a complaint, and in order to do that I had to come into the library again. The Centrelink mobile app doesn't include any Contact Us function that I could find*. So I've complained about my inability to complete my claim, due to their frequent online service failures, and requested a call back. I'll just have to wait and see if that helps.

In the meantime, I've had to ask my Mum for help. She's paying for a delivery of cat food, so I can keep my furkids healthy. I'm very lucky she is in a position to do this for me. (Thanks, Mum!)

Rant over. For now.

*Found it now. But I find typing at length on my phone really aggravating, so would have come in to use a computer anyway.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What I learned on prac.

I'm pretty sure that I learned far more on my prac than the students I was teaching. Some of it will stand me in good stead for my next prac, and for when I am a fully-qualified teacher. Some of it was very disappointing and disallusioning. One of the first things I learned was that my supervising teacher no longer wanted to be a teacher, but was sticking with it for a few more years, while her youngest child finishes high school. Another teacher in our staff room was only staying with teaching to boost his superannuation before he retired. Yet another teacher didn't speak to me during my four weeks sitting at the desk next to him, and seemed to dislike all students and the teaching of them. There were frequent discussions in there about students being "not very bright" and "unteachable", including one entire year. No effort was put in to teaching these students, as it was deemed to be a waste of effort. However, imaginative teaching was hampered

Understanding my physical challenges: An analogy

So, I've been trying to come up with a way to explain to a non-disabled person what it's like to face physical challenges at work, as a person with a disability. My current workplace is very physically demanding, even for me, a wheelchair user with long arms, full reach, abdominal muscle control and good balance. After 2.5 years of just getting on with it, despite the inaccessibility of large areas of my workplace, I'm at a point where I'm having to say, 'Enough. I can't do it any more.'. My employer is struggling to understand what's changed. Why is my workplace 'suddenly' inaccessible? What has changed with my health, to make my work so arduous for me now? Here's my analogy*: Imagine that you are looking for a job in the field you have just qualified for. A new employer says, if you move out to our location, we'll give you a permanent job. You just have to be able to carry 10kg. Cool, you think, I can do that. I'll uproot myself

Why I really need a pig.

For the last couple of years I've been on a plastic-elimination diet, and working hard at drastically reducing my landfill footprint (ie what I cause to sent to be buried in the ground for all eternity*). I have made some huge progress, although I still have some way to go to becoming zero waste (I think I'm at about 80% waste-free). One step on this journey was to get rid of my kitchen bin. In theory, everything I use in my kitchen should be either recyclable or compostable, leaving no use for a kitchen bin. However, I do have one item that is neither: my cat's uneaten food. FreddyCat is a fussy eater. I put this down to his hyperthyroidism – and being a cat. After considerable trial and error, I have found a range of foods that he will (usually) consent to eat, but he never eats ALL of anything I put down for him. There is always something left over; sometimes all of it. Cat food reeks even before going off, so I have to dispose of it. As I am a ver