Skip to main content

Why do I care so much about plastic??

I've been banging on a bit about Plastic-Free July - but not *too* much, I hope - to try to encourage
more people (really, just ONE more person) to take up the challenge to reduce their plastic consumption, or to at least ensure their plastics all get recycled, not put in landfill.

I did the challenge for the first time last year, and drastically reduced the amount of single-use plastic I use, while also becoming painfully aware of how ubiquitous single-use plastic is in our lives. It is EVERYWHERE. And it's not just where we can see it. Even if your product sits on the supermarket shelf plastic-free, the chances are it got delivered swathed in plastic. I'm afraid to ask what happens to that plastic....

Trying to do grocery shopping without buying things wrapped in plastic is *really* difficult, not to mention expensive. Plastic-free bread (if you can persuade the bakery to put it in a paper bag, not plastic) is much more expensive that the $1 bread in a plastic bag (with a non-recyclable plastic tab!). In avoiding plastic, you're also avoiding almost all processed food. That's not a bad thing, as long as you're able to cook from scratch!

There are some non-reusable, non-recyclable plastics I can't avoid, such as the packaging for several of my medications. Well, I suppose I could avoid it by not taking those medications, but I'm not prepared to take that step just yet. In the meantime, I'm collecting all the empty packaging, and looking around for somewhere or some way to recycle them.

I don't just go out of my way to not buy plastic in the first place, and to recycle every scrap of plastic I can't avoid buying, but I'll also pick up plastic wherever I see it, and will take plastic bottles out of landfill-destined bins, in order to recycle them. Even when that annoys people (and it does). I've been pulling recyclables out of bins for 25 years; it's a hard habit to break.

And why do I do this?? Good question.

My current lifestyle isn't going to change just because every piece of plastic that was ever made still exists, and always will. Or because in the first 10 years of this century we produced more plastic than in the entire previous century. Or because landfill is full of millions of reusable and/or recyclable items that won't decompose. Or because our oceans are choking on plastic, and marine life is dying from becoming entangled in plastic, or of starvation with stomachs full of plastic.

None of that will affect me in my lifetime (I don't eat fish). I don't even have any children to worry about. But it *will* affect my nieces and nephews, and their children. And my friends' children. And my students, and their children. And that bothers me, a lot.

I can't even properly explain why it does bother me so much. I believe I'm on this earth for a finite time, and my influence is very minimal, and nothing I do - or don't do - really matters that much, but I still want to tread softly on this earth, and don't want to be responsible for any more thoughtless landfill than I already am.

So I will continue to eliminate plastic and other disposables from my life, and continue to pull recyclables out of the landfill bin to put in the recycling. And I'll keep plugging things like Plastic-Free July.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What I learned on prac.

I'm pretty sure that I learned far more on my prac than the students I was teaching. Some of it will stand me in good stead for my next prac, and for when I am a fully-qualified teacher. Some of it was very disappointing and disallusioning. One of the first things I learned was that my supervising teacher no longer wanted to be a teacher, but was sticking with it for a few more years, while her youngest child finishes high school. Another teacher in our staff room was only staying with teaching to boost his superannuation before he retired. Yet another teacher didn't speak to me during my four weeks sitting at the desk next to him, and seemed to dislike all students and the teaching of them. There were frequent discussions in there about students being "not very bright" and "unteachable", including one entire year. No effort was put in to teaching these students, as it was deemed to be a waste of effort. However, imaginative teaching was hampered

Why I really need a pig.

For the last couple of years I've been on a plastic-elimination diet, and working hard at drastically reducing my landfill footprint (ie what I cause to sent to be buried in the ground for all eternity*). I have made some huge progress, although I still have some way to go to becoming zero waste (I think I'm at about 80% waste-free). One step on this journey was to get rid of my kitchen bin. In theory, everything I use in my kitchen should be either recyclable or compostable, leaving no use for a kitchen bin. However, I do have one item that is neither: my cat's uneaten food. FreddyCat is a fussy eater. I put this down to his hyperthyroidism – and being a cat. After considerable trial and error, I have found a range of foods that he will (usually) consent to eat, but he never eats ALL of anything I put down for him. There is always something left over; sometimes all of it. Cat food reeks even before going off, so I have to dispose of it. As I am a ver

Understanding my physical challenges: An analogy

So, I've been trying to come up with a way to explain to a non-disabled person what it's like to face physical challenges at work, as a person with a disability. My current workplace is very physically demanding, even for me, a wheelchair user with long arms, full reach, abdominal muscle control and good balance. After 2.5 years of just getting on with it, despite the inaccessibility of large areas of my workplace, I'm at a point where I'm having to say, 'Enough. I can't do it any more.'. My employer is struggling to understand what's changed. Why is my workplace 'suddenly' inaccessible? What has changed with my health, to make my work so arduous for me now? Here's my analogy*: Imagine that you are looking for a job in the field you have just qualified for. A new employer says, if you move out to our location, we'll give you a permanent job. You just have to be able to carry 10kg. Cool, you think, I can do that. I'll uproot myself