Skip to main content

So, this is really embarrassing....

In order to share my recent enlightening experience, I also have to share something mortifying.

OK.

So.

"Sniff Break" at the shopping centre.
On Saturday I went and got new tyres for my wheelchair, having worn them down to the threads. Nothing earth-shattering there, except that I found that having new, round tyres with tread on them meant that I could no longer actually move my wheelchair. This is because I've put on so much weight I now stop the wheels going around, with my big fat thighs. My old tyres were so worn down that I could still move the wheels, but even then one of the wheels would rub on the side of my leg, where the skirt protector is missing.

So I found myself housebound, from being too fat. Horrifying, both from the fatness, and from the housebound-ness. I have been trying to lose weight for a long time, and although I have stopped putting it on, I'm finding it very difficult to lose anything of any significance.

Anyway, in order to not be house-bound, I organised to hire a wheelchair from the Spinal Injuries Association, and it arrived today. It's not too dissimilar to my own wheelchair, in that it's rigid frame (not folding*, which means I can get it in my car!), low back, no arm-rests, footplate tucked in, all the things I'm used to. Even so, it's quite scary going outside in a different chair. I've had my current one for at least 10 years, if not longer. My balance in the hired one is different, and I sit in it differently (it's not made-to-measure like my one), but it does move!

It actually moves too well. I'm so used to mine being so hard to push around - and not just because I'm heavy and one of the wheels rubbed - and I thought the reason it was hard to push was because I was so broken down and decrepit and too fat. The only joints in my body that aren't painful (touch wood) are my elbows. Everything else hurts, and when it comes to pushing a wheelchair, having painful hands and wrists isn't helpful, and in my case pushing my wheelchair has become excruciating.

But in this hired 'chair, it was easy to get around. Dexter couldn't keep up! I got up an incline to the shops without stopping or even having to noticeably push harder. Pushing along took barely any effort, my wrists weren't bothered, and I didn't have to use my hands at all (by this I mean I could push just using the heel of my hand, without using my fingers at all). This also means that there was less exertion on my shoulders and back.

Which all means that it's my wheelchair that's making it so very difficult to get around, not (just) my extra weight. I already knew I had a problem with one of my little wheels, as I haven't been able to get it off to oil it the last couple of times I've tried, but I hadn't realised it was having such an impact. But now if I push my empty wheelchair, it rolls for a few centimetres, then spins on the stuck little wheel. If I push the empty hire chair, it only stops when it bumps into something.


I am broken down and decrepit, and really overweight, but I am also applying for a new wheelchair today. Despite the overwhelming application process, which has put me off applying for at least three years, I want to get a wheelchair that doesn't cause me immense pain and exertion to use. It may take two years to get it, so I'll concentrate on losing weight in the meantime.

All in all, it gives me hope for improved mobility in the future.

*Folding wheelchairs are much heavier than rigid frame wheelchairs, and I don't have the strength to get a folding chair into my car. With a rigid framed chair, you take the wheels off, and lift it into the car in pieces. This I can still manage, although I try to limit how many times I do it in one day.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What I learned on prac.

I'm pretty sure that I learned far more on my prac than the students I was teaching. Some of it will stand me in good stead for my next prac, and for when I am a fully-qualified teacher. Some of it was very disappointing and disallusioning. One of the first things I learned was that my supervising teacher no longer wanted to be a teacher, but was sticking with it for a few more years, while her youngest child finishes high school. Another teacher in our staff room was only staying with teaching to boost his superannuation before he retired. Yet another teacher didn't speak to me during my four weeks sitting at the desk next to him, and seemed to dislike all students and the teaching of them. There were frequent discussions in there about students being "not very bright" and "unteachable", including one entire year. No effort was put in to teaching these students, as it was deemed to be a waste of effort. However, imaginative teaching was hampered

Understanding my physical challenges: An analogy

So, I've been trying to come up with a way to explain to a non-disabled person what it's like to face physical challenges at work, as a person with a disability. My current workplace is very physically demanding, even for me, a wheelchair user with long arms, full reach, abdominal muscle control and good balance. After 2.5 years of just getting on with it, despite the inaccessibility of large areas of my workplace, I'm at a point where I'm having to say, 'Enough. I can't do it any more.'. My employer is struggling to understand what's changed. Why is my workplace 'suddenly' inaccessible? What has changed with my health, to make my work so arduous for me now? Here's my analogy*: Imagine that you are looking for a job in the field you have just qualified for. A new employer says, if you move out to our location, we'll give you a permanent job. You just have to be able to carry 10kg. Cool, you think, I can do that. I'll uproot myself

Why I really need a pig.

For the last couple of years I've been on a plastic-elimination diet, and working hard at drastically reducing my landfill footprint (ie what I cause to sent to be buried in the ground for all eternity*). I have made some huge progress, although I still have some way to go to becoming zero waste (I think I'm at about 80% waste-free). One step on this journey was to get rid of my kitchen bin. In theory, everything I use in my kitchen should be either recyclable or compostable, leaving no use for a kitchen bin. However, I do have one item that is neither: my cat's uneaten food. FreddyCat is a fussy eater. I put this down to his hyperthyroidism – and being a cat. After considerable trial and error, I have found a range of foods that he will (usually) consent to eat, but he never eats ALL of anything I put down for him. There is always something left over; sometimes all of it. Cat food reeks even before going off, so I have to dispose of it. As I am a ver