Skip to main content

Dear New Farm, put your dog ON AN EFFING LEAD!

Once again, I had to contend with a lead-less dog in New Farm. But even better*, this was an unattended, lead-less dog, sitting just outside Coles. My assistance dog Dexter and I had to walk past it  to get to the shop, and it wasn't until it looked around, saw Dexter, got up and approached that we realised it wasn't on a bloody lead. It had a collar, but no tags of any description. A lady passing by at the same time was equally alarmed that the dog was off lead, and free to approach my dog; she wasn't game to approach the dog itself, though, and I don't really blame her. It was a male Golden Retriever, a breed that enjoys a reputation of being gentle and friendly, but that's no guarantee that it wouldn't be aggressive....

Fortunately, Dexter is super-cool about meeting strange dogs, even ones who stand over him like this one did. Dexter always responds by trying to play, and by running round like a lunatic. Not exactly appropriate when he's wearing his assistance dog coat, and we're in the middle of a busy shopping precinct, but I let him do what he needs to do in these situations.

The problem didn't end there. We moved away from the dog, but it kept following Dexter, and ignored any attempts at human intervention. Another passerby tried to help me to get the dog to leave Dexter alone, and to lead it back to where it had been left, but it wasn't even interested in the liver treats I was offering it. It just wanted to keep sniffing Dexter's bum, no matter what.

If I continued into the shop the dog was going to follow, so I took Dexter back to where the other dog started from, and remembered that I had Dexter's extendable lead in my bag. The nice passerby helped me to tether the dog to the bit of railing there (I stopped the lead so that it wouldn't expand or retract, as it's not safe to tether a dog with a retractable lead), and just as I was finally about to go and do my shopping, the owner turns up. Carrying his toddler daughter and a bag of shopping.

I got the opportunity to tell Irresponsible Dog Owner Bloke that not only is it illegal to have an unleashed dog outside of its yard, but it's really annoying for those of us who are trying to go about our business. I also pointed out the dog's lack of tags, and the bloke said he was waiting for them to come from the Council. I told him that the Council is only responsible for the registration tag, not the name and contact info tag, which the Council also requires dogs to wear at all times.

I also told him that he was really bloody lucky that my Dexter is calm and non-reactive to strange dogs who follow him around, sticking their noses up his bum. It could have been a nasty situation. Irresponsible Dog Owner Bloke says that the dog doesn't usually do this sort of thing....

At about this time, the other dog starts trying to hump Dexter - so far it had just had its nose stuck up Dexter's bum - and Dexter, to his great credit, told it off. The other dog did try to keep going, but I shoved it off (the owner did nothing to help). I'm usually not worried about Dexter getting humped, but this dog was big, and getting over-excited, and Dexter had already told it off, so I intervened.

So Irresponsible Dog Owner Bloke tells me he won't leave his dog off lead again, although I won't believe it until I see it, and went off, leaving me with a slightly over-excited Dexter, with slobber on his head, and me feeling really, really annoyed. How hard is it to put your flipping dog on a lead?! ARGH!

Dexter, irresistible to all of dogkind.


*this is sarcasm

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What I learned on prac.

I'm pretty sure that I learned far more on my prac than the students I was teaching. Some of it will stand me in good stead for my next prac, and for when I am a fully-qualified teacher. Some of it was very disappointing and disallusioning. One of the first things I learned was that my supervising teacher no longer wanted to be a teacher, but was sticking with it for a few more years, while her youngest child finishes high school. Another teacher in our staff room was only staying with teaching to boost his superannuation before he retired. Yet another teacher didn't speak to me during my four weeks sitting at the desk next to him, and seemed to dislike all students and the teaching of them. There were frequent discussions in there about students being "not very bright" and "unteachable", including one entire year. No effort was put in to teaching these students, as it was deemed to be a waste of effort. However, imaginative teaching was hampered

Why I really need a pig.

For the last couple of years I've been on a plastic-elimination diet, and working hard at drastically reducing my landfill footprint (ie what I cause to sent to be buried in the ground for all eternity*). I have made some huge progress, although I still have some way to go to becoming zero waste (I think I'm at about 80% waste-free). One step on this journey was to get rid of my kitchen bin. In theory, everything I use in my kitchen should be either recyclable or compostable, leaving no use for a kitchen bin. However, I do have one item that is neither: my cat's uneaten food. FreddyCat is a fussy eater. I put this down to his hyperthyroidism – and being a cat. After considerable trial and error, I have found a range of foods that he will (usually) consent to eat, but he never eats ALL of anything I put down for him. There is always something left over; sometimes all of it. Cat food reeks even before going off, so I have to dispose of it. As I am a ver

Understanding my physical challenges: An analogy

So, I've been trying to come up with a way to explain to a non-disabled person what it's like to face physical challenges at work, as a person with a disability. My current workplace is very physically demanding, even for me, a wheelchair user with long arms, full reach, abdominal muscle control and good balance. After 2.5 years of just getting on with it, despite the inaccessibility of large areas of my workplace, I'm at a point where I'm having to say, 'Enough. I can't do it any more.'. My employer is struggling to understand what's changed. Why is my workplace 'suddenly' inaccessible? What has changed with my health, to make my work so arduous for me now? Here's my analogy*: Imagine that you are looking for a job in the field you have just qualified for. A new employer says, if you move out to our location, we'll give you a permanent job. You just have to be able to carry 10kg. Cool, you think, I can do that. I'll uproot myself