Skip to main content

I don't like scary movies

Seriously, I don't like scary movies. I am sure of this, because I just watched one. It was accidental, because foxtel doesn't give any genre information in their on-screen program summary, and by the time I realised it was going to be scary, I'd already got far enough into the story that I needed to see how it worked out. Besides, Chris Noth was in it (sort of).

I don't enjoy the stress of scary movies. I don't like the dread of bad things happening to the good people, especially LeeLee Sobieski, who is quirky and cute, no matter what character she is playing. This scariness stays with me, especially if I was very scared. Being forced to watch "Jaws" for my end-of-Grade-6 class activity left me afraid of the deep end of swimming pools for years, and the thought of swimming in tide pool practically gave me a heart attack. It may well still do, but I don't think I'll force the issue.

I also don't enjoy scary books. I've always thought it's because I have a far too active imagination as it is, and I don't need anything else to give me nightmares. I even found "Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix" stressful on my first reading of it, as I was in a permanent state of anxiety throughout. However, I was five books into the series and wasn't about to stop. If Harry, Ron and Hermione can get through it, so can I.

And while I'm on the subject of scary things, I really, really dislike fairground rides. I haven't been on one in 20+ years, but I still remember how hideous it was. It was one of those rotating swing things that has you spinning sideways 10m above the ground. It was hideous, and I couldn't get off.

Ugh.

Anyway, now that I have unsettled myself, I now need to find something to restore my equilibrium. Something like "Legally Blonde" or a Jane Austin adaptation. I am also re-reading "Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire", and although that verges on scariness, at least I know it ends OK.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What I learned on prac.

I'm pretty sure that I learned far more on my prac than the students I was teaching. Some of it will stand me in good stead for my next prac, and for when I am a fully-qualified teacher. Some of it was very disappointing and disallusioning. One of the first things I learned was that my supervising teacher no longer wanted to be a teacher, but was sticking with it for a few more years, while her youngest child finishes high school. Another teacher in our staff room was only staying with teaching to boost his superannuation before he retired. Yet another teacher didn't speak to me during my four weeks sitting at the desk next to him, and seemed to dislike all students and the teaching of them. There were frequent discussions in there about students being "not very bright" and "unteachable", including one entire year. No effort was put in to teaching these students, as it was deemed to be a waste of effort. However, imaginative teaching was hampered

Understanding my physical challenges: An analogy

So, I've been trying to come up with a way to explain to a non-disabled person what it's like to face physical challenges at work, as a person with a disability. My current workplace is very physically demanding, even for me, a wheelchair user with long arms, full reach, abdominal muscle control and good balance. After 2.5 years of just getting on with it, despite the inaccessibility of large areas of my workplace, I'm at a point where I'm having to say, 'Enough. I can't do it any more.'. My employer is struggling to understand what's changed. Why is my workplace 'suddenly' inaccessible? What has changed with my health, to make my work so arduous for me now? Here's my analogy*: Imagine that you are looking for a job in the field you have just qualified for. A new employer says, if you move out to our location, we'll give you a permanent job. You just have to be able to carry 10kg. Cool, you think, I can do that. I'll uproot myself

Why I really need a pig.

For the last couple of years I've been on a plastic-elimination diet, and working hard at drastically reducing my landfill footprint (ie what I cause to sent to be buried in the ground for all eternity*). I have made some huge progress, although I still have some way to go to becoming zero waste (I think I'm at about 80% waste-free). One step on this journey was to get rid of my kitchen bin. In theory, everything I use in my kitchen should be either recyclable or compostable, leaving no use for a kitchen bin. However, I do have one item that is neither: my cat's uneaten food. FreddyCat is a fussy eater. I put this down to his hyperthyroidism – and being a cat. After considerable trial and error, I have found a range of foods that he will (usually) consent to eat, but he never eats ALL of anything I put down for him. There is always something left over; sometimes all of it. Cat food reeks even before going off, so I have to dispose of it. As I am a ver