Skip to main content

I did consider not getting up today...

I had a rough night, tossing and turning - partly my fault for forgetting to take my pain meds yesterday - and Freddy literally walking all over me in order to get breakfast at 3am. I had to lock him in the bedroom to stop him from wrecking my desk (again), and he was mercifully quiet until 5am, when I got up briefly to feed him.

The jackhammering started at 7am, somewhere very, very close, and was the only thing that stopped me from turning off my alarm and trying to go back to sleep. I did drag myself out of bed, tired, stiff and sore, complaining to Dexter and Fred all the while. While eating breakfast, I did consider skipping Tafe today, as I was feeling so rough, but I felt it was a bad idea to starting skiving off, especially as it's only Week 3 of the course.

I left the house late, and was annoyed to find that the jackhammering had resulted in large parts of the path to the car park being demolished (yay for getting it fixed, but just not today), and I had to do a loop around my flat to get to my car. Which had been parked in by the blokes with the jackhammers. So then I was running even more late.

I got to Tafe OK, got through the boom gate OK (it was malfunctioning last week), and a nice young lad helped me up the bumpy ramp from the car park, so I thought things were improving. Dexter behaved himself on the walk through the cafe area (no time to stop and get a diet coke, though, which would have perked me up), but when I arrived at the lift, it was closed for maintenance!

There was a cleaner in the toilet next to the lift, and when I asked him if there was another lift I could use (there wasn't), he walkie-talkied to find someone to help. Third time lucky, we were told someone was coming, and they organised for the lift maintenance guys to take me up to my floor.

So I made it to Tafe, only a few minutes late - but several others were even later than me, so I didn't feel so bad about it. I still hate being late, though. Dexter isn't settling down, though. I thought his excitement the first week was down to the new place, the new smells, people etc, but he's still not settling down during class, instead trying to talk to the other students, have pats and do anything except lie down and be quiet!

I was getting a bit frustrated with him, but after a good sniff break during morning tea (the lift was working again), and a drink of water, he was perfect during the second half of the class.

Despite being glad I made the effort to go in, I did ditch swimming, and went off early to Karen and Steve's, where we'd arranged to wash the dogs. I had a nice afternoon, although I got a bit wet from the bathing (even though Steve was doing all the work), and then got trampled when going up the stairs, with Dexter and JJ mistaking my muffin top for an extra step. I now have claw marks on my hip, to go with the mozzie bites!!

But then I got the best bonus, ever: a massage from Steve. My left shoulder was particularly painful, so Steve put some heat balm on it and worked on some knots. Then he did a bit of work on my back, including some cracking of joints and realignment of my spine. I completely subscribe to the 'no pain, no gain' school of massage, and considering how much pain he caused me, I should gain quite a lot from it! My shoulder was instantly improved, and my back also feels less stiff.

Spending time with friends and kittens always cheers me up, so today ended up being an OK day. I'm really enjoying Tafe, and start observing some classes next week, and could even start volunteering in some of them, while I'm still completing the course.

I suppose today is just an example of how forcing myself to do something I don't feel up to can reap great rewards. It's a lesson I have to keep learning, though. I often give up too easily, giving in to the pain and fatigue, rather than keeping busy and active and being distracted from it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What I learned on prac.

I'm pretty sure that I learned far more on my prac than the students I was teaching. Some of it will stand me in good stead for my next prac, and for when I am a fully-qualified teacher. Some of it was very disappointing and disallusioning. One of the first things I learned was that my supervising teacher no longer wanted to be a teacher, but was sticking with it for a few more years, while her youngest child finishes high school. Another teacher in our staff room was only staying with teaching to boost his superannuation before he retired. Yet another teacher didn't speak to me during my four weeks sitting at the desk next to him, and seemed to dislike all students and the teaching of them. There were frequent discussions in there about students being "not very bright" and "unteachable", including one entire year. No effort was put in to teaching these students, as it was deemed to be a waste of effort. However, imaginative teaching was hampered

Why I really need a pig.

For the last couple of years I've been on a plastic-elimination diet, and working hard at drastically reducing my landfill footprint (ie what I cause to sent to be buried in the ground for all eternity*). I have made some huge progress, although I still have some way to go to becoming zero waste (I think I'm at about 80% waste-free). One step on this journey was to get rid of my kitchen bin. In theory, everything I use in my kitchen should be either recyclable or compostable, leaving no use for a kitchen bin. However, I do have one item that is neither: my cat's uneaten food. FreddyCat is a fussy eater. I put this down to his hyperthyroidism – and being a cat. After considerable trial and error, I have found a range of foods that he will (usually) consent to eat, but he never eats ALL of anything I put down for him. There is always something left over; sometimes all of it. Cat food reeks even before going off, so I have to dispose of it. As I am a ver

Understanding my physical challenges: An analogy

So, I've been trying to come up with a way to explain to a non-disabled person what it's like to face physical challenges at work, as a person with a disability. My current workplace is very physically demanding, even for me, a wheelchair user with long arms, full reach, abdominal muscle control and good balance. After 2.5 years of just getting on with it, despite the inaccessibility of large areas of my workplace, I'm at a point where I'm having to say, 'Enough. I can't do it any more.'. My employer is struggling to understand what's changed. Why is my workplace 'suddenly' inaccessible? What has changed with my health, to make my work so arduous for me now? Here's my analogy*: Imagine that you are looking for a job in the field you have just qualified for. A new employer says, if you move out to our location, we'll give you a permanent job. You just have to be able to carry 10kg. Cool, you think, I can do that. I'll uproot myself