Skip to main content

Dexter's Diagnosis

I took Dexter to the vet today, to have his sore ear checked out. I knew it was hurting Dexter, and expected that he would need some drops or something for it, but I wasn't prepared for how bad it was. When the vet looked in his ear (his left ear, not his "special" ear) he told me it was clogged with wax, debris and pus (bleurgh). Dexter would need to have the ear washed out before we could start treatment.

While we were there, I also asked the vet to check out Dexter's back, as he'd had an unusually strong reaction to being humped by a dog in the park. Dexter usually completely ignores anything except someone trying to take his tennis ball, so I wondered if the dog had hurt him. The vet checked out his back, which is fine, but thought there was some tenderness in his sacral joint. So while Dexter was under anaesthetic having his ear cleaned out, they would also take x-rays of his back and hips.

As a little post-script, the vet said he's also squeeze Dexter's anal glands while he was at it. They were able to do all of this straightaway, so I left Dexter there (sniff).

Being without Dexter for half a day is enough to remind me of how much he does for me during any given day, and how much harder life is without him (not just because my left arm is weak as water!). I also feel funny when he's not with me; people look at ME rather than Dexter! I also don't have anyone to talk to while I'm out and about (because talking to my dog is fine, while talking to myself is just crazy).

Fortunately, I was super-busy getting myself packed and ready for my trip to China tomorrow (have I mentioned that I'm going to China?!), so I didn't have too much time to miss him. At least I still had Freddy to talk to at home.

When I went to pick Dexter up, there was good news and bad news. The good news was that his "special" ear is fine, although it turns out that he doesn't have a working ear-drum, just scar tissue (he had the ear canal resection 6 years ago due to persistent infections). However, it was clean and sound.

His left ear - the one that's never had a problem before - has bacteria AND yeast, and a perforated ear drum. Thankfully, no middle ear infection. Apparently the ear drum can repair itself, and now that all the gunk and yuk has been cleaned out (it took two goes), and a cortisone injection given to releave the inflammation, it should be able to heal. Dexter has antibiotics and two different types of ear drops, and a follow-up appointment for the day after I get back from China (I'm going to China!).

I feel terrible that all this has been brewing and I hadn't realised how bad it was. I knew something was up, as I was cleaning his ear much more often than usual, but not this bad. I feel like a bad dog-parent.

The vet told me that dogs are very good at masking incremental pain, so that it can be hard to pick up on how bad a situation can be. It's much easier when they limp or something. At least it's being treated now.

As for his x-rays, the bone spur in his neck hasn't changed since it was first identified about a year ago, and his spine is perfectly healthy, including his sacral joint. However, it turns out that Dexter has slight hip dysplasia; nothing alarming, and it's not new, he was born with it, but it's something to keep an eye on. There are no signs of any arthritis anywhere, which is excellent, and if I ensure that he keeps fit and toned, it will slow down any future arthritic changes. I'll also get him a supplement to help him maintain his joint cartilege, as further protection to his joints.

It was a surprise to find he has any level of hip dysplasia - it's never been mentioned before, ever. I was relieved to hear it was congential, not a result of his working lifestyle, but it's still a bit of a worry.

And just to be thorough, his anal glands were full to bursting, and slightly infected. But they've been thoroughly emptied, and the antibiotics he's having for his ear will sort that out, too.

Still, overall, Dexter is very healthy, and not showing any signs of aging or slowing down, and once his ear infection is cleared up, he'll be good as gold. Phew. He also now has nearly two weeks of holidays to rest and recover, and to play with JJ and generally relax. He should be fine when I get back home (from China).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What I learned on prac.

I'm pretty sure that I learned far more on my prac than the students I was teaching. Some of it will stand me in good stead for my next prac, and for when I am a fully-qualified teacher. Some of it was very disappointing and disallusioning. One of the first things I learned was that my supervising teacher no longer wanted to be a teacher, but was sticking with it for a few more years, while her youngest child finishes high school. Another teacher in our staff room was only staying with teaching to boost his superannuation before he retired. Yet another teacher didn't speak to me during my four weeks sitting at the desk next to him, and seemed to dislike all students and the teaching of them. There were frequent discussions in there about students being "not very bright" and "unteachable", including one entire year. No effort was put in to teaching these students, as it was deemed to be a waste of effort. However, imaginative teaching was hampered

Why I really need a pig.

For the last couple of years I've been on a plastic-elimination diet, and working hard at drastically reducing my landfill footprint (ie what I cause to sent to be buried in the ground for all eternity*). I have made some huge progress, although I still have some way to go to becoming zero waste (I think I'm at about 80% waste-free). One step on this journey was to get rid of my kitchen bin. In theory, everything I use in my kitchen should be either recyclable or compostable, leaving no use for a kitchen bin. However, I do have one item that is neither: my cat's uneaten food. FreddyCat is a fussy eater. I put this down to his hyperthyroidism – and being a cat. After considerable trial and error, I have found a range of foods that he will (usually) consent to eat, but he never eats ALL of anything I put down for him. There is always something left over; sometimes all of it. Cat food reeks even before going off, so I have to dispose of it. As I am a ver

Understanding my physical challenges: An analogy

So, I've been trying to come up with a way to explain to a non-disabled person what it's like to face physical challenges at work, as a person with a disability. My current workplace is very physically demanding, even for me, a wheelchair user with long arms, full reach, abdominal muscle control and good balance. After 2.5 years of just getting on with it, despite the inaccessibility of large areas of my workplace, I'm at a point where I'm having to say, 'Enough. I can't do it any more.'. My employer is struggling to understand what's changed. Why is my workplace 'suddenly' inaccessible? What has changed with my health, to make my work so arduous for me now? Here's my analogy*: Imagine that you are looking for a job in the field you have just qualified for. A new employer says, if you move out to our location, we'll give you a permanent job. You just have to be able to carry 10kg. Cool, you think, I can do that. I'll uproot myself