Skip to main content

Being unemployed is hard work

I've not been unemployed for at least 10 years. There were a couple of weeks when I moved back to Australia in 1999 when I didn't have a job, and a few weeks when I had to withdraw from university in my first year, back in 1995, but other than that, I've always had a job (I haven't always been paid, but I've always had a job).

I certainly didn't plan to be unemployed at this stage in my life, and as I had only been getting paid for my last job for 6 weeks, after two and a half years as a full-time volunteer, I am definitely not in any financial state to be jobless.

I had already planned to take a week's break after finishing up at CH, which is just as well, considering what else has been happening, so I've only been jobseeking for a week so far.

I had been hoping to find some casual, straightforward work, to fill my time and pay my rent, but without any stress or sleepless nights as a result. However, many options are closed to me now: bartending, waitressing - anything involving food preparation - checkout operating (apparently) and suchlike. So I have to go straight to finding a "proper" job, and that's quite labour-intensive.

I find addressing selection criteria really arduous. I find it hard to explain why I'm good at something, and agonise over the wording, the style, the length/brevity of my answers. My success-rate is almost zero. I've applied for a number of other jobs over the years, but had very few interviews. I've never progressed to the interview stage for a government job.

So, it's been a busy time for me, since I left my job, and a week into my search for employment I've already been turned down for two jobs. When I registered with a temp agency yesterday (which involved getting completely drenched on the way to the meeting (I went via ferry into the city), and three hours of forms, interview and computer testing), I was told that part-time temp work is extremely rare , so not to hold my breath (I also struggled with the testing, as I'm out of practice using MS Office, having been using OpenOffice almost exclusively for the past 5 years at least). My best bet is to sit by the phone at 7.30am each morning for emergency cover calls.

Then today I signed back onto the Dole, and although I left my last job voluntarily, it's been judged by Centrelink that I had sufficient reason for resigning that I don't have to wait the usual two months before qualifying for jobseeker's allowance. Phew. I was a bit worried about that, I have to admit.

However, I also have to "contact" five employers a week in order to remain qualified. Fortunately, this doesn't mean I necessarily have to submit five job applications a week, but have to at least be making enquiries (eg about their wheelchair access. I know from experience that employers are very reluctant to make workplace modifications, so if the office isn't already accessible, there's no point applying). So I will be spending my time looking at job ads, calling up about them, writing job applications, and carefully filing the rejection letters.

Sounds like fun, doesn't it?!

Comments

  1. It's hard finding work. I'm trying something new now that my kids are getting older. It's okay so far, but I hope it brings in more money as the time goes on. Otherwise I'll be doing like you, visiting Centrelink.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

What I learned on prac.

I'm pretty sure that I learned far more on my prac than the students I was teaching. Some of it will stand me in good stead for my next prac, and for when I am a fully-qualified teacher. Some of it was very disappointing and disallusioning. One of the first things I learned was that my supervising teacher no longer wanted to be a teacher, but was sticking with it for a few more years, while her youngest child finishes high school. Another teacher in our staff room was only staying with teaching to boost his superannuation before he retired. Yet another teacher didn't speak to me during my four weeks sitting at the desk next to him, and seemed to dislike all students and the teaching of them. There were frequent discussions in there about students being "not very bright" and "unteachable", including one entire year. No effort was put in to teaching these students, as it was deemed to be a waste of effort. However, imaginative teaching was hampered

Why I really need a pig.

For the last couple of years I've been on a plastic-elimination diet, and working hard at drastically reducing my landfill footprint (ie what I cause to sent to be buried in the ground for all eternity*). I have made some huge progress, although I still have some way to go to becoming zero waste (I think I'm at about 80% waste-free). One step on this journey was to get rid of my kitchen bin. In theory, everything I use in my kitchen should be either recyclable or compostable, leaving no use for a kitchen bin. However, I do have one item that is neither: my cat's uneaten food. FreddyCat is a fussy eater. I put this down to his hyperthyroidism – and being a cat. After considerable trial and error, I have found a range of foods that he will (usually) consent to eat, but he never eats ALL of anything I put down for him. There is always something left over; sometimes all of it. Cat food reeks even before going off, so I have to dispose of it. As I am a ver

Understanding my physical challenges: An analogy

So, I've been trying to come up with a way to explain to a non-disabled person what it's like to face physical challenges at work, as a person with a disability. My current workplace is very physically demanding, even for me, a wheelchair user with long arms, full reach, abdominal muscle control and good balance. After 2.5 years of just getting on with it, despite the inaccessibility of large areas of my workplace, I'm at a point where I'm having to say, 'Enough. I can't do it any more.'. My employer is struggling to understand what's changed. Why is my workplace 'suddenly' inaccessible? What has changed with my health, to make my work so arduous for me now? Here's my analogy*: Imagine that you are looking for a job in the field you have just qualified for. A new employer says, if you move out to our location, we'll give you a permanent job. You just have to be able to carry 10kg. Cool, you think, I can do that. I'll uproot myself