Skip to main content

Why I didn't do Christmas

The Christmas season is over for another year, and I managed to get through it without sending any cards, and the only gift I bought was for the RSPCA's wishing tree. I was particularly penniless this year, saving any spare funds I may have for ongoing physio and pilates, but it's not the only reason I opted out of participating in the festive season.

To me, Christmas is a Christian celebration, albeit overlaid/confused somewhat with the Pagan Winter Solstice festival. I am not a practicing Christian, although I do appreciate the nativity story, and the carols and all that stuff. It's also a great time of year for people to make time to get together and catch up with each other.

Of course, in Australia, the Winter Solstice elements make no sense, so therefore neither do many of the “traditional” Christmas trappings. An Australian Christmas shows up the overlay between the two quite clearly. However that isn't why I don't always send cards or give presents.

My complaint is that this festive season has been hijacked by the retail giants as a time of enforced spending. I feel an enormous pressure to buy gifts for people, and not just for my close friends and my family, but for everyone I know - and perhaps even for people that I don't know. And it doesn't seem to matter what is bought, as long as there is a gift to be given. It doesn't matter that the gift might be immediately discarded, or re-gifted, or be otherwise useless (which offends my Green sensibilities). Nothing much matters other than that we BUY stuff.

I see the enormous pressure for parents to shower their children in gifts, no matter whether their budget can afford it, and every year there are stories on the news about how much is being spent, and how much debt people are getting into during this time.One gift is no longer enough; it must be multiple presents.

I really dislike the crush of shoppers in the run-up to Christmas. I get particularly irritated by the extra boxes and piles of stock that get put out, making wheelchair access difficult, if not impossible. I got annoyed that Coles removed all the chicken wings, in order to make more space for the prawns!!!

I know that I'm fortunate that my family doesn't have any particular expectations from me regarding receiving cards or gifts, and so I am not going to upset or offend anyone by not sending or giving any; there is no pressure from them. I hope this is also true of my friends and acquaintances, who might have had other expectations, especially as I did receive cards and gifts from several of my friends - which I received with pleasure and enjoyment.

Of course I don't object to receiving gifts - how could I?! - but I want to receive gifts in the same way that I give them: voluntarily. I give gifts to people because I find something that I think they will like, or because I wanted to make them something. I generally give gifts on birthdays, or for special events like weddings, births, housewarmings, because they are personal and meaningful.  There are still times that I can't afford much, but I try to mark these occasions with at least a card.

Perhaps it would be different if I had more money. Certainly, I have sent cards and gifts to family in previous years, and willingly, when I have been better off financially, but I'd give them gifts even if there was no such thing as Christmas.... However, I think that nowadays I would still be rather circumspect about the whole deal. The pressure, the waste, the pointlessness of much of it bothers me. How is any of that part of “Christmas spirit”?

I think I will stick to my personal policy of recognising birthdays and special events. With one exception. For Christmas 2010 my aim is send one gift to my family: me.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What I learned on prac.

I'm pretty sure that I learned far more on my prac than the students I was teaching. Some of it will stand me in good stead for my next prac, and for when I am a fully-qualified teacher. Some of it was very disappointing and disallusioning. One of the first things I learned was that my supervising teacher no longer wanted to be a teacher, but was sticking with it for a few more years, while her youngest child finishes high school. Another teacher in our staff room was only staying with teaching to boost his superannuation before he retired. Yet another teacher didn't speak to me during my four weeks sitting at the desk next to him, and seemed to dislike all students and the teaching of them. There were frequent discussions in there about students being "not very bright" and "unteachable", including one entire year. No effort was put in to teaching these students, as it was deemed to be a waste of effort. However, imaginative teaching was hampered

Why I really need a pig.

For the last couple of years I've been on a plastic-elimination diet, and working hard at drastically reducing my landfill footprint (ie what I cause to sent to be buried in the ground for all eternity*). I have made some huge progress, although I still have some way to go to becoming zero waste (I think I'm at about 80% waste-free). One step on this journey was to get rid of my kitchen bin. In theory, everything I use in my kitchen should be either recyclable or compostable, leaving no use for a kitchen bin. However, I do have one item that is neither: my cat's uneaten food. FreddyCat is a fussy eater. I put this down to his hyperthyroidism – and being a cat. After considerable trial and error, I have found a range of foods that he will (usually) consent to eat, but he never eats ALL of anything I put down for him. There is always something left over; sometimes all of it. Cat food reeks even before going off, so I have to dispose of it. As I am a ver

Understanding my physical challenges: An analogy

So, I've been trying to come up with a way to explain to a non-disabled person what it's like to face physical challenges at work, as a person with a disability. My current workplace is very physically demanding, even for me, a wheelchair user with long arms, full reach, abdominal muscle control and good balance. After 2.5 years of just getting on with it, despite the inaccessibility of large areas of my workplace, I'm at a point where I'm having to say, 'Enough. I can't do it any more.'. My employer is struggling to understand what's changed. Why is my workplace 'suddenly' inaccessible? What has changed with my health, to make my work so arduous for me now? Here's my analogy*: Imagine that you are looking for a job in the field you have just qualified for. A new employer says, if you move out to our location, we'll give you a permanent job. You just have to be able to carry 10kg. Cool, you think, I can do that. I'll uproot myself