Skip to main content

Training with Dexter

I have been doing a lot of extra training with Dexter lately - something I should have been doing all along, really. We failed our Public Access test (very shameful) and are working hard to be able to pass it again in a couple of weeks. We have to wait a month before we can do it again.
We failed because Dexter ate some food, and tried to get other food, only being stopped by the trainer. There are a couple of food-related exercises that must be passed in order to pass the whole test. Because Dexter failed, we failed the whole test.
So we have been in intense training ever since. We had a great session with Cyn D, another trainer and I have learned some new techniques to try to get Dexter's focus away from food and scavanging. It involves giving him extra treats if he even hesitates before trying to eat something off the floor, and rewarding him for looking back at me when he sees any food.
So far so good. It's not 100% yet, but the improvements are very encouraging. I can throw treats at him and he'll leave them. He might stare intently at them, but he won't eat them. I also got him to do a couple of recalls (I make him sit at a distance and then call him to come to me) over some delicious treats. I felt that was quite impressive.
I really good change I've seen is that he seems to have stopped scouring for food when we're indoors. It used to drive me nuts that he always had his head down sniffing and looking for something to eat. He's not doing it anywhere near so much, although food courts are still a big challenge. Outside is a different matter, but the trainers aren't too worried about it. His behaviour indoors is the most important thing.
So we're doing a bit of training every day. Not just the food stuff, but all his other tasks, and his general obedience. That's become a bit less sharp, so I'm trying to get that back up to standard again.
My experiences with all of this assistance dog stuff, it's challenges and rewards, is coming in very handy when designing training courses and materials, especially when I see that other new handlers are having the same challenges.
Dexter and I can re-take our public access test in a couple of weeks, and I am determined to pass it. I'll keep you posted!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What I learned on prac.

I'm pretty sure that I learned far more on my prac than the students I was teaching. Some of it will stand me in good stead for my next prac, and for when I am a fully-qualified teacher. Some of it was very disappointing and disallusioning. One of the first things I learned was that my supervising teacher no longer wanted to be a teacher, but was sticking with it for a few more years, while her youngest child finishes high school. Another teacher in our staff room was only staying with teaching to boost his superannuation before he retired. Yet another teacher didn't speak to me during my four weeks sitting at the desk next to him, and seemed to dislike all students and the teaching of them. There were frequent discussions in there about students being "not very bright" and "unteachable", including one entire year. No effort was put in to teaching these students, as it was deemed to be a waste of effort. However, imaginative teaching was hampered

Understanding my physical challenges: An analogy

So, I've been trying to come up with a way to explain to a non-disabled person what it's like to face physical challenges at work, as a person with a disability. My current workplace is very physically demanding, even for me, a wheelchair user with long arms, full reach, abdominal muscle control and good balance. After 2.5 years of just getting on with it, despite the inaccessibility of large areas of my workplace, I'm at a point where I'm having to say, 'Enough. I can't do it any more.'. My employer is struggling to understand what's changed. Why is my workplace 'suddenly' inaccessible? What has changed with my health, to make my work so arduous for me now? Here's my analogy*: Imagine that you are looking for a job in the field you have just qualified for. A new employer says, if you move out to our location, we'll give you a permanent job. You just have to be able to carry 10kg. Cool, you think, I can do that. I'll uproot myself

Why I really need a pig.

For the last couple of years I've been on a plastic-elimination diet, and working hard at drastically reducing my landfill footprint (ie what I cause to sent to be buried in the ground for all eternity*). I have made some huge progress, although I still have some way to go to becoming zero waste (I think I'm at about 80% waste-free). One step on this journey was to get rid of my kitchen bin. In theory, everything I use in my kitchen should be either recyclable or compostable, leaving no use for a kitchen bin. However, I do have one item that is neither: my cat's uneaten food. FreddyCat is a fussy eater. I put this down to his hyperthyroidism – and being a cat. After considerable trial and error, I have found a range of foods that he will (usually) consent to eat, but he never eats ALL of anything I put down for him. There is always something left over; sometimes all of it. Cat food reeks even before going off, so I have to dispose of it. As I am a ver