Skip to main content

Me and my facebook games

My family and friends are very accommodating of my playing a few facebook games. They Hide my game posts on their own pages, and only comment occasionally when I start a new one (which isn't very often). I generally play farming games. Over time I have played Farm Town (my first and greatest farming love, mainly because the pigs fall over and fall asleep), where I had four farms, Farmville, with three farms, Frontierville, Country Life, and now Castleville. Monsterworld sort of fits into the farming genre, although it's really raising flowers, and there are no animals.


FrontierVille (Rosie won't load!)
I really loved Frontierville (which reinvented itself as Pionner Trail), as I had a virtual husband and three children, and we rode horses everywhere. But it got too unwieldy, and I haven't been able to coax it to load for ages.

I still play Castleville (I had to stop for a bit, as my old PC just couldn't cope), Monsterworld and Country Life. I occasionally look in on Farmville, but not often.

These harmless little games let me play out my long-held dream - fantasy - of having a small-holding one day, with a pet pig, chickens, maybe a goat or sheep, and growing my own veggies.On my various farms I have pigs, chickens, cows, sheep, peacocks, minks, geese, cats, dogs, elephants, penguins, more chickens, horses, more pigs, rabbits, ducks, swans, turkeys, llamas, and yet more pigs. I love pigs. I grow flowers and crops, which I sells to my friends and neighbours, and I am immensely wealthy!!
Farm Town

All these games also allow interaction with friends. Farm Town was the best, where I could Chat with my sister while we did jobs on each other's farms. However, Rach no longer has the time for games, having something much more fun to occupy her time, namely my nephew!

Of course, I have the spare time for this, especially when I'm having my insomniac phases, where I'm too tired to read, and there are only infomercials on telly. I'm down to the simplest games, now, though. In fact, in Country Life all I'm doing is planting and harvesting corn. That's it. And I'm doing it because there's one last Achievement to meet, and that requires harvesting another 25,000 (yes!) plots of corn. Then I can stop!!

With my puppies on FarmVille
I have to admit that they are distracting, and I do spend time on them when I should be studying, but it could be much, much worse. I rarely watch telly these days, so I see it as a bit of down time. A little rest and relaxation to refresh myself.

Many people also know that I play both Scrabble and Words With Friends, but clearly these are not games, but deadly serious. (I also got drawn into (haha!) Draw Something, but my phone is a bit temperamental about whether it will load or not.)


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What I learned on prac.

I'm pretty sure that I learned far more on my prac than the students I was teaching. Some of it will stand me in good stead for my next prac, and for when I am a fully-qualified teacher. Some of it was very disappointing and disallusioning. One of the first things I learned was that my supervising teacher no longer wanted to be a teacher, but was sticking with it for a few more years, while her youngest child finishes high school. Another teacher in our staff room was only staying with teaching to boost his superannuation before he retired. Yet another teacher didn't speak to me during my four weeks sitting at the desk next to him, and seemed to dislike all students and the teaching of them. There were frequent discussions in there about students being "not very bright" and "unteachable", including one entire year. No effort was put in to teaching these students, as it was deemed to be a waste of effort. However, imaginative teaching was hampered

Understanding my physical challenges: An analogy

So, I've been trying to come up with a way to explain to a non-disabled person what it's like to face physical challenges at work, as a person with a disability. My current workplace is very physically demanding, even for me, a wheelchair user with long arms, full reach, abdominal muscle control and good balance. After 2.5 years of just getting on with it, despite the inaccessibility of large areas of my workplace, I'm at a point where I'm having to say, 'Enough. I can't do it any more.'. My employer is struggling to understand what's changed. Why is my workplace 'suddenly' inaccessible? What has changed with my health, to make my work so arduous for me now? Here's my analogy*: Imagine that you are looking for a job in the field you have just qualified for. A new employer says, if you move out to our location, we'll give you a permanent job. You just have to be able to carry 10kg. Cool, you think, I can do that. I'll uproot myself

Why I really need a pig.

For the last couple of years I've been on a plastic-elimination diet, and working hard at drastically reducing my landfill footprint (ie what I cause to sent to be buried in the ground for all eternity*). I have made some huge progress, although I still have some way to go to becoming zero waste (I think I'm at about 80% waste-free). One step on this journey was to get rid of my kitchen bin. In theory, everything I use in my kitchen should be either recyclable or compostable, leaving no use for a kitchen bin. However, I do have one item that is neither: my cat's uneaten food. FreddyCat is a fussy eater. I put this down to his hyperthyroidism – and being a cat. After considerable trial and error, I have found a range of foods that he will (usually) consent to eat, but he never eats ALL of anything I put down for him. There is always something left over; sometimes all of it. Cat food reeks even before going off, so I have to dispose of it. As I am a ver